Sharing my passion for technology is something that brings me joy. With my background as a lecturer ICT at a Technical University I like to approach things from an educational point of view.
As part of my job as a Chrome Developer Relations Engineer at Google, my talks nowadays focus on CSS, specifically its new and upcoming capabilities.
Below you can find a list (selection) of conferences/meetups/podcasts/etc. I spoke at. When available you can find a small description, slides, video, etc. for each event.
- Scoped styling with CSS
@scope(2023.10.19 @ Full Stack Europe)Slides of my lightning talk on CSS @scope
- What’s new in CSS? (2023.10.12 @ Frontmania)Slides of the talk “What’s new in CSS” I gave at Frontmania
- LearnWithJason: CSS-Only Scroll-Driven AnimationsI was a guest on Jason Lengstorf’s “Learn With Jason” stream. We talked about Scroll-Driven Animations.
- Animate between states with the View Transition API (2023.09.27 @ devs.gent)Slides of my talk on View Transitions at the inaugural devs.gent meetup.
- Scroll-Driven Animations and View Transitions (2023.06.09 @ CSS Day)Backstory, slides, recording, and more of my talk at CSS Day 2023.
- Syntax: Supper Club × Bramus Van Damme on CSSA while ago I joined the Syntax Podcast ran by Wes Bos and Scott Tolinski
- What’s new in web animations (Google I/O 2023)“What’s new in web animations” – my talk at Google I/O 2023
- What’s new in CSS? (2023.03.23 @ DevDay)Slides of the talk “What’s new in CSS” I gave at DevDay
🤔 Just saw me speak and can’t find the event here? Come back in a few days; I typically add my slides within 1 week after the event.
- CSS Architecture (2022.12.01 @ Web Directions Summit)Slides of the talk I gave at “Web Directions 2022” + Trip Report
- CSS in 2022 (and beyond) (2022.10.07 @ Full Stack Europe)Slides of the talk I gave at “Full Stack Europe 2022” + Trip Report
- Scroll-Driven Animations: Cover Flow (2022.10.06 @ Full Stack Europe)Lightning talk on how I recreated Cover Flow using only HTML and CSS, thanks to Scroll-Driven Animations.
- CSS in 2022 (and beyond) (2022.09.09 @ Fronteers Conf)Slides + Video of the talk “CSS in 2022 (and beyond) ” I gave at Fronteers 2022.
- The CSS Cascade: A Deep Dive (2022.06.09 @ CSS Day)Slides + Video of a talk covering the CSS Cascade, which I gave at CSS Day 2022.
- The C in CSS (2022.04.20 @ Full Stack Ghent)Slides of a talk covering the CSS Cascade, which I gave at the April 2022 Full Stack Ghent Meetup
- Embrace the Platform (2022.03.03 @ UX Ghent)I joined the UX Ghent Virtual Meetup to talk about how authors should embrace the features the web platform gives them, building websites with the Progressive Enhancement mindset.
- CSS: Understanding the Cascade (2022.01.27 @ CSS Café)In this talk, we dig into how the CSS Cascade actually works. Origins, !important, Layers, Specificity, … it’s all covered.
- Scroll-Linked Animations with CSS Scroll-Timeline (CSS Café)🚨 UPDATE: The Scroll-Linked Animations Specification and its proposed syntax have undergone a major rewrite. This post details an older version of the syntax and has not been updated to reflect these changes. Do note that the concept of a Scroll-Linked Animation still stands, it’s only the syntax that has changed since writing this. Please refer ...
- Scroll-Linked Animations with CSS Scroll-Timeline (CSS Conf Colombia)🚨 UPDATE: The Scroll-Linked Animations Specification and its proposed syntax have undergone a major rewrite. This post details an older version of the syntax and has not been updated to reflect these changes. Do note that the concept of a Scroll-Linked Animation still stands, it’s only the syntax that has changed since writing this. Please refer ...
- Going Serverless with Google Cloud Run (JSConf.be)Back in June I was invited to speak at JSConf.be. This year’s edition focused on DevSecOps and Security. My talk “Going Serverless with Google Cloud Run” — which I have brought forward before at Full Stack Ghent and PHP-WVL — was a perfect match for it. Cloud Run is a fully managed compute platform by Google ...
- Going Serverless with Google Cloud RunRecently I was invited as a speaker to Full Stack Ghent and PHP-WVL. At both events I brought a new talk called “Going Serverless with Google Cloud Run”. Cloud Run is a fully managed compute platform by Google that automatically scales stateless containers. By abstracting away all infrastructure management, us developers can focus on what matters ...
- ESNext: Proposals to look forward to (Fronteers Jam Session)At last years’ edition of Fronteers Conference I gave a lightning talk on ESNext, covering the TC39 Process and highlighting three of my favorite proposals (some of which have hit Stage-3 by now!). Earlier this week they released the video of my (short) talk The lightning talk itself was a short version of a full talk ...
- ESNext: Proposals to look forward to (Full Stack Ghent)Yesterday I was invited as a speaker at the March 2019 Meetup by “Full Stack Ghent” (their first one!) at the Clarabridge CX Social offices. At the meetup I gave a reprise of the talk “ESNext: Proposals to look forward to”, which I had already done at a Full Stack Antwerp meetup, a few months ago. With ...
- GeoshizzleSlides (with notes in Dutch) of a talk I gave at a recent Fronteers Meetup covering my love for mapping (projections and coordinate systems), Google Maps, Mercator, and working with geodata.
💁♂️ If you are a conference or meetup organiser, don't hesitate to contact me to come speak at your event.