Interop 2022 is the successor to Compat 2021, an joint effort by browser vendors to work on browser compatibility.
Interop 2022 is a public effort and benchmark around which browser vendors can collaborate to improve interoperability in areas believed to be important to web developers. It is composed of two parts:
- 15 focus areas on which implementations will be scored according to their pass rate on selected tests. This comprises 10 newly selected areas, plus the 5 areas from Interop 2021.
- 3 “investigate” areas which are important to web compatibility but where collaborative effort is required to find the path to interoperable implementations. These will be scored according to assessed progress in the individual areas.
The 10 newly selected areas are:
- Cascade Layers
- Color Spaces & CSS Color Functions
- Form Controls
- New Viewport Units
- Web Compat
The areas to investigate are:
- Viewport Measurement
- Editing, contenteditable and execCommand
- Pointer Events + MouseEvent.layerX/layerY
Good to see that my hunch about what to expect in CSS for 2022 doesn’t deviate all too much from this list 🙂
Interop 2022 →
Interop 2022 Repo →
Interop 2022 WPT Dashboard →