Office 2007 Mime Types (for IIS)

Had some troubles with Office 2007 files not being downloadable on our windows servers … did a bit of Googling and found this nice list of Office 2007 mime-types:

.docm,application/vnd.ms-word.document.macroEnabled.12
.xlam,application/vnd.ms-excel.addin.macroEnabled.12
.xlsb,application/vnd.ms-excel.sheet.binary.macroEnabled.12
.xlsm,application/vnd.ms-excel.sheet.macroEnabled.12
.xlsx,application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet
.xltm,application/vnd.ms-excel.template.macroEnabled.12
.xltx,application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.template

Adding all mime-types to IIS in one step is very simple:

The easiest way to do this is stopping IIS and editing the metabase XML file (C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\MetaBase.xml) using a text editor. Search for the <IIsMimeMap Location="/LM/MimeMap" …> element and append the lines above to the MimeMap attribute

Elsewhere

21 Responses to Office 2007 Mime Types (for IIS)

1. jos says:

accually , i like spamtoo, but thanks very much for the IIS settings. Ik had that problem too at work

2. lowen says:

Excellent article! Thanks for the help.

MIME types can be edited though IIS by right clicking on the webserver, selecting properties, then pressing the MIME type buttons. You will need to restart IIS after making the changes, this can be done by running “restartiis /noforce” from the start button, then run.

3. sam says:

thanks for bothering to put this list together! helped me out

4. Phil says:

I’m trying to do this on IIS 5.0 – WIN2K3 and there is no xml file, only C:\WINNT\system32\inetsrv\MetaBase.bin which is considerably less editable! When trying to do it through IIS, I’m clicking File Types in the HTTP Headers tab, Clicking New Type, putting “xslx” (tried .xslx too) into Associated extenion and “application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet” into Content type (MIME). Then restart IIS and nothing… any ideas anyone?

5. Albrecht says:

@Phil I don’t know the IIS settings, but try “xlsx” instead of “xslx”

6. Tricky says:

Really love your layout.
    @Phil, try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300672 to back up your metabase
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb742440.aspx#EEAA to add the MIME types manually
    and if you’re brave (I haven’t tested it), http://dogma.swiftspirit.co.za/archives/183's IIS script. If you have time to kill, try the script – otherwise stay safe and do it manually. ;)

7. Saswata says:

I would like to thank to author for theexcellent list.

8. Luis says:

This post helped me a lot. THANK YOU!!!

I guess I also hate Spamtoo … That name sounds Italian … hmm … lol

9. Pat says:

Very nice! Thank you for the list.

10. Kay says:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

11. James P says:

Whew! Thanks for this solution.

12. Sand3r says:

Very useful!
    Was looking for this a long time.

(Indrukwekkende site ;))

13. Joe Willett says:

Excellent! You just saved me a headache. Thanks a lot, man.

14. Linux says:

Thanks for bothering to put this list together! helped me out

15. wadenick says:

Found your post earlier today. I had better luck just setting these to application/octet-stream, just FYI, referenced here ›› http://post.ly/1HUSx

Thanks! -NickW

16. Hi,
    This article was really helpful.
    Many thanks

17. John R says:

Still useful!

Thank you for publishing this.

18. Pingback: Ricardo Silva Blog » Blog Archive » Office 2007 Mime Types (for IIS)

19. Pingback: MediaWiki: Fehler beim Upload von docx- und xlsx-Dateien beheben

20. My problem is that, while HTTP response gets delivered correctly to the browser (encoding is preserved and file is CSV), Excel shows it as gibberish text. I don’t know why. I added these MIME types, but still no result.

21. gee says:

Once again, it worked, thanks for clear instructions.