Recently had a PC with XPSP3 and an Asus P5GC-MX/1333 in it my hands. Problem: No audio at all, the Realtek High Definition Audio Drivers did not want to install. At the end of the install an error message pops up (Realtek High Definition Audio driver install has failed) and then the installer closes. Urgh! :(

After some fiddling in Device Manager (remove the darn thing and such) accompanied with some reboots I hit Google and read something about the KB888111 hotfix from Microsoft. After finding it, it couldn’t install as this one already’s included in SP3. No.luck :(

Eventually I tried with the the latest drivers from Realtek. The error was still there, but a more specific one came out: HD Audio Bus Driver Failed to load: 0xE0000227. Aha, a clue!

A few Googleminutes later I found the solution:

• Go to Device Manager/Device Drivers
  • Under System Devices find Microsoft UAA HD bus driver
  • Now, first disable it …
  • … and then uninstall it.
  • Close the Device Manager and run the Realtek setup
  • Tadaa, it works!

Total time wasted: 2 hours. Can I send you the bill, Bill?

Did this help you out? Please consider making a donation:

Another Dailie , , , ,

54 Responses to Fix to the "HD Audio Bus Driver Failed to load: 0xE0000227" & "Realtek High Definition Audio driver install has failed" Errors

1. Jennifer says:

I would like to thank you for sorting my audio out. I have had no sound for months and came across your site and within 10 mins I had sound ….thank you once again

2. Thank you so much for sharing, my littlesister she had the same problem and we have been trying to fix it for quite some time, who would ever thought i could be that simple lol!
    Hurray for google and your blog ;)

3. David says:

Thanks, after 2 hours of googleing and trying everything else your solution is the only one that worked. Again Thanks

4. jack says:

Thanks, after 2 weeks of googleing and trying everything else your solution is the only one that worked. Again Thanks

5. Danny Wooten says:

Thanks so much for the fix. It prevented me from spending the same 2 hours of Googleing!

6. Youssef Kawarma says:

Thanks alot it’s working

7. bundy says:

good god that was wrecking my brain for days thanks very much!!!!!! saved this page in multiple places on my pc :)

8. cookie says:

where can i find these Device Manager / Device Drivers? how to go there please someone help me lol i’m just a 14 years old boy ..my big bro left me here at our house for 10months i need to find those devices…

9. kresen says:

i did not have this problem but mine is similar, ii reinstalled windows and i cant activate windows which means i cant update windows either. I installed my chipset drivers but i cannot install the Realtek sound drivers because i need Service Pack 2, can you help me solve this???? I downloaded the newest driver from the Realtek website and the installation was successful but when i go to Volume Control it says “there are no mixer devices installed…”
    either email me or post on here thanks alot!

10. Olivier says:

It is absolutely brilliant that you would take the time to post this solution and save us so much misery and frustration. Can’t thank you enough for this – I was just about to re-install the OS before I came across this site. Thanks again!

11. silver says:

Thanx for the info, but what if I cant find “Microsoft UAA HD bus driver” under System Devices? Please help!

12. AHD says:

I had a similar problem with this ‘high definition’ audio crap. the only high is the frustration listening to the poor quality of that solution.
    Nevertheless, thanks a lot for cleaning up the device manager display.
    As always: Soundblaster rulez.

AHD.

13. jim says:

within 30 seconds of reading this everthing was up and running. Thank you !

14. Nitish says:

THANKS for giving such a wonderful solution……was looking for it….had the same problem……great work….keep it up

15. doro says:

the latest drivers from realtek is moved..

16. Marcelo says:

THANK YOU!!!! I was wondering if my Windows shall be reinstalled and found your post in the last minute. Great!

17. Daniel says:

Thank u so much!! I had already installed the audio. Once rebooted, it first loaded realtek driver and afterwards it reinstalled UAA bus driver.

18. Ari says:

excelent!!!!
    it works!!!!
    THK U SO MCH!!!

19. Magdy says:

Thanx Man,
    you are really wonderfull
    thanx again & keep your good work :)

20. Den says:

OMG!!! It worked! You are awesome! Thank you, thank you, thank you ^_^

21. amsams says:

hii
    i don’t have the microsoft vaa hd bus driver listed and can still install the driver
    but the issue is i still cant get the sound working :(

22. Lee Howard says:

Thank you for this advice wasted 2 hours of my time trying install it and searching the web for fixes and advice. Finally came across this page and the problem was resolved within 2 mins. Why cant things be simple anymore!!!

23. jose says:

great it , works , thanks man

24. Tom says:

You Saved my day !!!

25. Carlos says:

Thank you so much, you save mi life, and amsams try to start the windows audio services, it works for me

26. dAVE t says:

You need to get a job with tech support somewhere.
    I have been messing with this for a week, losing sleep over this mess. Microsoft and other manufacturers need to fix this BS. Microsoft would rather you pay them for the support they should have provided in the first place!!!

27. Matt says:

Just wanted to say thanks for publishing this solution.

Would be good if Realtek could provide a helpful error message (or if MS could fix their end of things!).

28. Holy Devil says:

After spending several hours upon the same problem and re-installing windows several times, I finally landed upon this article.

I have WinXp+SP2, but the solution worked for me as a charm. Finally, I am able to listen to the audio from my computer. Trust me, it really sounds sweet.

Thanks a ton for the tip.

29. Frank McCurry says:

I also do not have Microsoft HP device drivers listed. I didn’t see any replys to similar comments, please help!

30. Ian says:

Your the man Bram ! Thanks buddy for saving my sanity.

31. Andry says:

What if I can’t find the Microsoft UAA HD bus driver in my device manager?

32. donG says:

hey amigo gracias. muchas gracias… ha funcionado a la perfecccion… pensaba que tendria que formatear… pero me haz hecho un gran favor… GRACIAS DE NUEVO…

thanks a lot my friend… lol

33. Corne says:

Sorted!!! Thanks for the tip man now I can actually start listening to music again =D

34. Jesus says:

THANKS A LOT MAN!!! GREETINS FROM ARGENTINA!! SEE YA!! :)

35. Pingback: Problema con sonido, c-media ac97 device y win xp sp3

36. andy says:

brilliant fix many thanks

37. stan says:

YOU ARE A GENIUS….. after all these time….. at last – I find someone who knows what he is talking about….. you rock man!

38. presm says:

i have a similar problem with one of my pc…but this time its with soundmax audio driver,,,
    it installed properly but there seem to be a problem with kb888111

39. bob says:

dounloaded your fix, didn’t seem to fix. finally found realtec driver on biostar ta870+ install disk that was “self zipped” but could never be found by the Hardware manager. It did unzip when I clicked it and it installed sucessfully. Now I do have sound. Don’t know if your fix helped or my finding the non detectable zipped driver. If it was yours, thanks.

40. Chalist says:

Thank’s a lot you rock……i have no sound for months….thank’s again…

41. srikanth says:

Even after 2 yrs of ur post , its still helping many , like me …. all hands up for u macho

42. crusty says:

I love you already!!!!! After 3 months of researching..endless nights of frustration.. with just one click and a restart.. everything was solved!!! It already cost me almost $100 for purchasing another motherboard, plug n play soundcard and a new headphone.. and was about to spend another $30 for a repair man to reformat my pc.. thank god i saw your page first.. you saved my life man..really!!!!!! Thank you so much!!!! You just granted one my christmas wish! ;)

43. Andy says:

Thank you so much. You save a lot of my time.

44. joe yo yo says:

45. kshitiz says:

thanks alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dude keep it up :-) i am fed up of this problem dont know what to do

but finally u have made this posibble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

46. Nilesh says:

Thank u soooooooooooooooooooo much sometime XP is pain in ASS :)

47. Justin says:

You are the man! It definately works!

48. Dave Martin says:

Thanks so much, I spent a lot of time on ASUS website- downloaded motherboard manuals, should have just googled it.
    Delete a file from XP home and I have an old computer to hook up to the 50″plasma TV so now my wife can read email…… sucks getting old!

49. leali3 says:

I would like to thank you (Sir Bramus) for this solution you have deposited. From a samiane that I have this problem and I tried several solution they offered on the net but no is not success. else your solution is the only one that worked.
    Again Thanks

50. Rey says:

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!! i been searching for hours to find a fix and yours was the only helpful post! thanks again!!

51. Aamir Khan says:

thanksssssssssssssssss to you … love you dear :-)

52. Nguyen Phan says:

53. clive says:

Repaired my daughter’s xp pc by swapping the motherboard. Everything worked with the exception of (you guessed it) the realtek audio driver which kept failing when I tried to reinstall it. Couldn’t uninstall the microsoft driver until I read this and disabled it first. Just got it all up and working again after a week of head banging. THANKS!!!

54. Claus says:

Sir, I read your text and your comments and you seem to have found the solution. In my haste to implement it, I did NOT (sniff) disable before uninstalling and now I can´t get it right. might there be a tip on how to correct it, now that I screwed up your previous solution?

Claus.